Friday, June 20, 2008

A Literary Experience

I had a very interesting experience the other evening. Currently I am visiting GC and we went to a book club discussion group he attends once a month. Now there is nothing new about the concept of book discussions but this one was new for me. It was a discussion group that reads and shares spanking books.



When I got off the plane on Tuesday night it was really too late to start reading but the next morning I began reading the book of short spanking stories titled, Blushing at Both Ends. We spent much of the day dashing from place to place and I read in between the various errands we ran. Finally I got a chance to do some uninterrupted reading while GC attended an event. I sat at Starbucks with some lovely tea with lemonade and read the book. (Cover down of course, didn't want any knowing grins from the staff or other patrons.) Some of the stories were very cute. My favorite was Snow White and Rose Red. However, I did find it to be a group of formulaic stories, right down to the language in each one and the words the characters uttered. I think many times, in spanking literature there is an assumption that the reader is only breathlessly waiting for the first smack of hand on derriere. That is -probably true to an extent, but it would be nice to know the characters, have a less predictable plot, and have the spanking activities be part of the action, but not the entire focus of the story.



In any case, we did arrive late for the group but hey were still talking over the stories. One of the group members said he actually liked the idea of template into which various story scenarios could all fit. We did discuss which stories each person liked the best.

I really do wish they had a group like this where I live but I really don't know any spankos in close proximity except one, and I wouldn't contact him if he were the last man on earth. Enough said on that subject for now. But I do think it would be fun to "discuss" books online, so I may, in the future, start recommending books I have read and that you may like to read. I would love to hear what others think about the books I have enjoyed or not enjoyed . And if you have a group of friends in the scene, give this a try. The group meets at a restaurant so they share good food and discussion.

If you do read Blushing at Both Ends let me know what you think. Since I am often blushing hither and yon myself I know how many of the characters feel. Since I switch I know how even other characters feel. And, as many of us know, it is a remarkable feeling indeed!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Purple, I certainly like the idea of reviewing books, but spanking stories!!!
Warm hugs,
Paul.