Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Matter of Definition



The topic of private or witnessed spanking comes up quite a bit on some of the groups I belong to, especially Crimson Moon around party time. I used to think it was pretty cut and dry. Private meant you and one other person, and witnessed was others watching. But I think there is more to it than that. So I thought I would share my definitions of these terms and when I think each may or may not be appropriate in my opinion and, actually, for me. I can't speak about what works for anyone else.


So the first type is a private spanking. I think there are two types. One is the spanker and spankee together and one may be a spanking where another person is involved. For example if I was being disciplined for something I had done that affected someone else they may very well have the right to witness the spanking. It would still be private from anyone uninvolved. I also feel that discipline spankings are best handled in private, they are two personal/intimate for a public display. I also feel intensely erotic spankings are best done privately for obvious reasons. Privacy, from my point of view, includes closed doors and a reasonable assurance that you can't be heard if the goings on get a bit loud.


When I get disciplined it usually means no clothes and this is another reason for privacy. I know being spanked for being a bad girl may involve a certain amount of embarrassment but I don't want to be humiliated. That is not part of what I need or want. A fiery red bottom is great but a fiery red face is not necessary in my opinion.


Now to open the category of witnessed spankings just a little further it could also include a small group of spankos who are getting together for some fun or play spanking. Perhaps a spanking bench is used. While the group may witness the spankings it is not open to the public and, in my definition, would be people who have a certain comfort level with each other.
Which brings us to public spankings. Now in the context of a spanking party atmosphere these have come to mean spankings given in a party room where any party attendee may be present. In this context it only refers to those in the lifestyle/scene.
But what about the wider public? How about those fabulous outdoor spanking fantasies that have the (very rare but possible) viewing of vanilla public? Is a couple of swats on the bottom in a grocery store a public spanking? See what I mean, so much of it is definition.
And how do I feel about it?
1. Discipline is a private matter for me whether I am the top or the bottom
2. No problem being spanked for fun or play in front of others in the lifestyle although if it were a large party group I would probably want the only bare part of me to be my bottom.
3. Still hoping that I get to live that outdoor spanking fantasy as long as the possibility of being seen is almost nil.
4. Erotic spanking is private, always.
5. Certainly never mind a little swat on the backside over my clothes in public.
So? Where are your boundaries?

2 comments:

Paul said...

Purple, when I was active, as far as we knew there were no parties.
For us, both disciplinary and erotic spanking were intensely private.
For me having suffered public punishment both at the orphanage and at school, that sort of humiliation I would not inflict on an enemy let alone someone I love.
Mel got the occasional swat over her skirt when she as being bratty, as a warning of what she might get if she didn't behave.
In those days nothing unusual.
Mel and I used to ride a lot, so we often found nice quiet remote spots, nice spankings and what followed were even nicer Al Fresco,
and the possibility of being spotted added a certain frisson, as far as I know, we never were.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Purple Angel said...

Paul, I must say everytime I read of your life with Mel, I sigh longingly and my eyes get teary. What a beautiful life you had together.

I agree totally on the subject of public punishment. It is totally inappropriate. Even the public schools in some of the US used to practice paddling kids in front of others.

Your Al Fresco activities sound wonderful and even if you were spotted...think how lucky those people were.

Hugs,
Purple Angel